Sleep, or Lack of It

Sleeping is my one true talent.  OK, so maybe not my ONE true talent, because right up there with sleeping is my ability to consume rich desserts in large quantities, which would mean I'm blessed with TWO true talents, not just one.  When I did Junior Miss in high school, I sincerely thought about bringing a mattress on stage and demonstrating my God-given ability to snooze. 

Around Chez Reese right now the hours I get to spend practicing my talent are limited to say the least. 

The broken hours I do spend sleeping are filled with dreams about, what else, but breast feeding.

I guess it's pretty natural to dream about what you spend a good 95% of your day doing.  My child loves to eat (which may be evidence that the second talent I mentioned has been genetically passed along as well). 

Sometimes I wake up to Kaden stirring, ready to eat, in a state of befuddled confusion, because I think I am already feeding him. 

Usually, Kaden naps quite a bit during the day (demonstrating that the sleeping talent may be genetic, we just have to work on timing that talent).  While he takes his first morning nap I get ready for the day and do a few things around the house before he wakes up again.  Later, when he takes another nap, I try to join him for a brief snooze, to prevent myself from going insane with sleep deprivation.

Notice the word at the start of that last paragraph?  USUALLY.

About that.

Today, was not a usual day.

Kaden slept for a total of one hour today.

30 minutes of that hour were spent in the stroller, while we took a brisk jaunt through the neighborhood, so mommy can work on losing her last 15 pounds of baby weight.

When we got home, he promptly woke up.

No problem.

I was actually excited we were having awake time during the DAY, instead of the usual 4:30 a.m. routine.

"I'll put on my makeup and do some laundry when he takes a nap after he eats," I thought.
 
That nap never came, my friends.

Kaden wanted to be held ALL day today or he was screaming.  The bouncy seat failed to entice him.  The swing seemed completely uninteresting.  The mobile in his crib would thrill him until he realized he was being tricked.  No pacifier was pacifying.  He fell asleep in my arms multiple times, but each time I lay him in his crib a good five minutes later the baby monitors would announce his extreme displeasure at having been deposited somewhere other than Mommy's lap.  I finally gave up trying to put him down, and let him fall asleep in my arms so he could get his 2nd 30 minutes.  He was so over-tired and cranky.

When Chad came home at 5:00, he put Kaden on top of the dryer in his car seat.

An hour and a half later, he had finally fallen asleep.

He's still out.

I think I have approximately 4 minutes before he decides it's time to eat again.

I'm surprised we've lasted this long.

 

0 comments: